Michigan Corn Growers Association members, start your engines and race over to Dixie Motor Speedway in Birch Run for Ethanol Night at the Races on Friday, Sept. 9.
"Ethanol Night at the Races is a great way for MCGA members to celebrate what has been accomplished over the past year, especially in regards to ethanol," says Jeff Sandborn, MCGA president and a corn grower from Portland. "We have come a long way in terms of infrastructure for producing and consuming ethanol in Michigan. We can't think of a better place to celebrate Michigan's ethanol accomplishments than at Ethanol Night at the Races."
MCGA members must pre-register for the event and will receive:
• Free admission to Ethanol Night at the Races for themselves. Spouses and guests are welcome to attend for a fee. The first four adult guests of an MCGA member will receive a reduced fare of $15 per person and additional adult guests will be charged $20 per person. Children under the age of 12 will be admitted for $5 per child and children under the age of 6 are free.
• A free commemorative t-shirt.
• A great steak dinner from 4:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
• The opportunity to examine ethanol-powered projects from Kettering University, corn-based projects from Saginaw Valley State University, and an ethanol-powered tractor and lawnmower from the Eastern Michigan Tractor Pulling Association.
• A full night of racing with the green flag dropping at 7:00 p.m.
The steak dinner will be followed by the "Eve of Destruction," a full night of auto racing, highlighted by events such as the Figure-8 Trailer Race, School Bus Figure-8, Chain-Gang Race, Dixie Crash Cars, Flagpole Race and Spectator Drags.
"The MCGA would not be as successful without the power of our members, and this event is just one way we can give back to them for their support throughout the year," added Sandborn.
Sponsors for the 2011 Ethanol Night at the Races include Tri County Equipment, Crop Production Services, Hudson Insurance Group, The Andersons Albion Ethanol, LLC; Great Lakes Hybrids; Pioneer Hi-Bred International; and Poet Biorefining. Additional sponsorship opportunities are still available.
If the weather is threatening rain on Sept. 9, please contact Dixie Motor Speedway at (989) 624-9778 to confirm Ethanol Night at the Races is still on. The rain date for this year's event will be Friday, Sept. 16.
For more information, questions, to become a member, or to register for Ethanol Night at the Races, contact the MCGA office at 1-888-323-6601 or visit www.micorn.org.
Headquartered in Lansing, the MCGA is a grassroots-membership association that has represented the state's corn growers' political interests since the 1970s. The MCGA works cooperatively with the Corn Marketing Program of Michigan (CMPM) a legislatively-established program that utilizes one-cent per bushel of Michigan corn sold and invests in research, education, new uses and market development. Michigan's corn industry adds more than one billion dollars to the state's economy annually and in 2009, Michigan's corn farmers harvested a record setting crop of more than 309 million bushels. For more information, visit the website of the MCGA and the CMPM at www.micorn.org.